These are the main changes, but in doing so it has made one of the best mid-range handsets even better (iTWire R9s review here) while adding $100 to the price.
OPPO Australia executive director, Michael Tran, believes the R9s Plus will be a hit with Aussie consumers who demand both value and high performance from their devices.
“Following the successful launch of the R9s in January, we’re thrilled to release the R9s Plus. It builds on the R9s' strengths like its advanced camera optics and elegant design and takes them to the next level. Whether users are streaming the latest blockbusters on the go or capturing the memories that matter most to them, the R9s Plus has them covered with ease.”
The front facing 16MP camera uses a large f/2.0 aperture and OPPO’s Screen Flash technology, to capture sharp selfies even in low light environments.
The R9s Plus is on sale nationwide from today in both black and gold for $698 RRP, available instore at JB Hi-Fi, Officeworks, and Woolworths. JB Hi-Fi link is here until OPPO website is updated.
- Screen: 6” AMOLED, 1920 x 1080, 367ppi, 75.1% screen to body ratio, Gorilla Glass 5, pre-applied screen protector.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon eight-core, 635, 4 x 1.95GHz and 4 x 1.44GHz.
- RAM/Storage: 6GB RAM, 64GB storage, MicroSD 256GB support (uses dual sim).
- Camera rear: 16MP. f/1.7, 1.12µm pixel, auto HDR, OIS, Dual PDAF (phase detection auto-focus like the Samsung GS7), oversized 1/2.8” Sony IMX389 “dual pixel” sensor, 4K @30 fps video with EIS, Ultra HD mode (combines 4 shots to 50MP image).
- Camera front: 16MP, 78.2°, f/2.0, 1µm pixel, auto HDR, Beautify 4.0, oversized 1/3.1” sensor, HD recording, screen flash, panorama mood for 120° stitched photo, voice-activated shutter.
- Battery: 4000mAh with OPPO VOOC 5V, 4A ultra-fast charge.
- Fingerprint: new solid state reader with “slight touch” technology under a hydrophobic water-resistant membrane. Up to five different fingerprints to launch different apps. The backlit App Switcher and back “buttons” are part of the lower bezel giving maximum screen usage.
- Six-string antenna (2 x 3 fine antennae strings operates on six frequency ranges).
- Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 and ColourOS 3.0 lightweight user interface overlay.
- Other: Wi-Fi AC, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, Micro-USB with OTG.
- LTE: Cat 6. Bands 1/3/5/7/8/20/28/38/39/40/41, VoLTE.
- Size: 163.6 x 80.8 x 7.4 mm x 185g (The 5.5” iPhone 7 Plus is 158.2 X 77.9 X 7.3 mm and 188g).
- Colours: Gold and Black.
- Price: $698
- What’s missing: IP rating, wireless charging.
The new Qualcomm 635 processor also has new camera post-processing features, better power management, enhanced sound, faster LTE and more bands.